As a visitor, you are expected to adhere to the following general safety guidelines to ensure a safe laboratory environment for both yourself and the people you may be working near.
Visiting students who fail to follow all basic safety rules may be asked to leave the laboratory.
Safety goggles and laboratory coats will be provided by Oxford University Chemistry Department.
Sensible, acceptable behaviour is expected at all times. General behaviour is the responsibility of the teacher in charge of the visit.
We are very strict on dress code and students and teachers must adhere to these rules in our labs. Sensible clothing is expected and the Department reserves the right to refuse entry to anyone who does not conform. Sensible clothing requires that:
- Arms and legs are covered.
- Long hair is tied back.
- Footwear provides all-round coverage (e.g. no sandals, open toed shoes or canvass slippers etc.)
- No food or drink is to be consumed (including gum and medication) in the labs.
- No cosmetics or skin preparations may be applied.
- Hands should be washed after leaving the laboratory before eating or drinking anything.
To prepare our demonstrators effectively for the visit can you please inform us of any specific needs of students in your group which we need to be aware of, especially as we are working in a potentially hazardous environment.
Our schools liaison officer, Soozy Smith, is happy to discuss any concerns you may have prior to the visit and can be contacted by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.